Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2013

20 Minute Cheater Skirt

Last year I participated in skirt week hosted by Crafterhours.  I was using up fabric I had on hand and self drafted a pattern for a maxi skirt I was really proud of (go here to see my original blog post).

It’s time again for skirt week and at first I was excited to participate.  Then I realized that I don’t really need any new skirts right now.  Sure there are a few I have been looking at and wanting, but until my social life gets a lot more exciting (not going to happen), I really didn’t need to make any.

So in keeping with the rules of the contest, I thought I would throw this little number in there.  I made this skirt last July the day I left for Las Vegas.  Yes that’s right, it only took me 20 minutes to sew this thing up.

IMG_1562IMG_1567IMG_1570

I happened to be in the fabric store buying some finishing touches on another dress I was making, when walking by the knit aisle I saw this printed fabric.  I really liked it and bought myself a yard at 50% off.

Now this fabric actually has holes in the print, so I had to line it.  I also wanted to make it semi adjustable so I could alter the length I wanted to wear it.  Shorter for daytime or going out, and longer for a more formal event (as seen in the middle picture).

So how did I pull off this skirt.  First off, it’s simply a tube, with a fold over waist band, and lining with elastic.

If you would like to learn how to make one…keep reading.

Let’s look at the right side of the skirt.

IMG_1577

And here is a picture of the wrong side of the skirt.

IMG_1578

Step One:  Create your lining if needed.  I actually used lining fabric, you could also use knit and then you wouldn’t need elastic.  Cut a rectangle 13” long by (your waist dimension plus 1”).  Sew the short ends of the rectangle to form a tube.  Cut a piece of 1” elastic to fit your waist.  Sew the elastic to one end of the tube (I used a zig zag stitch) and finish (I serged) the other end of the tube.

Step Two:  Create your outer skirt.  Cut your fabric of choice 16” long by (your waist dimension at top and your hip dimension at the center and then straight down to the bottom).  In other words follow the curve of your own body.  If you already have a fitted skirt, you can use that as a pattern.  Make sure to leave yourself a seam allowance in the width.  Sew the short ends together to form a tube.  Hem one edge.

Step Three:  Create your fold over waist.  Cut your fabric 9” long by (your waist dimension) again leaving a seam allowance.  Sew together the short ends to form a tube.

Step Four:  Sew the whole thing together.  Here is where you need to look at things to make sure you get the pieces in the correct facing.  Sew the right side of the unfinished edge of the outer skirt to the right side of the waistband.  Then sew the opposite side of the right side of the waistband to the right side (non elastic side) of the lining.

Step Five:  Congratulate yourself because you are all done!

No comments:

Post a Comment